Login Register

Abandoned games see Park stay in the hunt, but Dunstall slip to bottom of the league

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: May 13, 2013

WASHOUT . . . Lullington Park’s Danny Gough (left) took his side’s only wicket in their abandoned match against Chesterfield

Comments (0)

LULLINGTON Park maintained their unbeaten Derbyshire Premier League record against Chesterfield on Saturday as their hosts failed to go for the jugular when in a good position at Edingdale Lane.

One long and four short rain breaks determined the outcome of Park’s game, as they claimed seven points to their visitors’ 12 in an eventually abandoned game.

A record second-wicket partnership of 163 between Derbyshire’s Wes Durston (110no) and Ben Slater (96) took the game out of Park’s reach.

It was the highest such score against Lullington in the Premier League and the highest for any wicket against them by Chesterfield.

Park skipper Richard Green had asked Chesterfield to bat, and Slater and Matt Fletcher added 83 between the rain before Fletcher got a leading edge to a ball from Danny Gough and was caught at mid on for 29.

However, that was to be the only success for a Lullington bowler.

Chesterfield had arrived with three layers who had played first team cricket for the county this season, and who were playing against New Zealand a week ago.

They also had two Derbyshire second teamers and a former County Ground stalwart in captain Simon Lacey.

And it was Falcons regular Durston who set the pace, reaching 50 off 37 balls and 100 off 67 with 12 fours and six sixes as Park’s usually economical spinners bore the brunt of his power.

George Chapman went for 27 off three overs, while Sam Eaton for 63 off six and Paul Dawson 32 off five.

Slater was almost keeping pace and was only four short of his own century when a running mix-up saw him well out as he failed to beat a throw from Jonny Shales when sent back from a second run.

Ross Whiteley, who has struggled to get Derbyshire to allow him to play for his boyhood club, hit Eaton for one enormous six as Chesterfield chose to bat on to the 39th over.

Under league rules in a rain disrupted match, they could have declared after 30 overs at 191 or shortly afterwards and pressed for a win.

Further rain brought the declaration and yet another break in the last hour meant that Park faced a total of 19 overs in which Chesterfield could press for bowling bonus points, but they achieved only one.

Matt Higginbottom bowled quickly in the gloom but it was veteran Michael Deane who achieved a breakthrough when Martin Walters nicked off to Whitely for 20.

There was a wobble when both Andrew Goodwin and Sam Eaton fell lbw without scoring to Deane and Higginbottom respectively but James Doherty batted superbly for 36.

He was well supported by Sam Eaton, and they saw out the last nine overs without further alarm.

DUNSTALL managed to bowl just 11.5 overs before rain put paid to proceedings in their clash at Spondon on Saturday.

Matt Gouldstone won the toss at Locko Road and asked the hosts to bat on a green track that looked as if it would heavily favour the seam bowlers.

However, despite some early scares, the home side had progressed to 40 without loss when the inclement weather forced the two sides from the field for the second and last time.

Umpires David Connor and Gordon Blackmore called an early tea at 3.30pm but, despite some frantic mopping up of water lying on the square, more showers made play impossible.

Both Spondon and Dunstall collected the standard six points awarded for an abandoned match.

Dunstall face another trip to Ockbrook & Borrowash this weekend after their ECB National Club Championship second round fixture fell victim to the weather.

Having won the toss, the visitors chose to bowl and had the hosts 131-2 from 24 overs when they were forced from the field, young Will Roobottom having taken his maiden first XI wicket. Former Northamptonshire man Matt Cassar was unbeaten on 60.

The teams are expected to meet again at 1pm on Sunday at Victoria Avenue.

Ockbrook & Borrowash had claimed the prize-scalp of Ticknall’s Paul Borrington (16) in the early exchanges at The Grange – George Morgan claiming the wicket following an expensive first over – but with the match only 6.4 overs old, rain had the final say.

Ockbrook remain fifth, with Ticknall 11 points and two places further back.

Just two overs were possible at West Park, where Sawley had moved to 13 without loss before heavy rain prevented any further action, meaning Rolleston stay bottom of the table.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters