Login Register

Arson fears after blaze at derelict Swadlincote working men's club

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: October 20, 2013

Fire at Church Gresley Memorial Club and Institute

Comments (0)

A FIRE at a derelict working mens' club which contained asbestos could have been started deliberately, fire chiefs have said.

Firefighters from Swadlincote were called to the blaze at 7.20am today at the old club in Wilmot Road.

Crews used water from two fire engines to fight the fire which is thought to have started on the building's roof.

A spokesman from Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service said asbestos boards were found in the building but said they posed no danger to the public.

He added that officers from Derbyshire Police also attended.

Anyone with information has been asked to call Derbyshire Police on 101 and quote incident number 221 of October 20.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters