Login Register

Bedworth United 1, Gresley 2: Match report

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: April 09, 2014

Comments (0)

GRESLEY claimed a rare away win as they showed resilience in coming from behind to overcome struggling hosts Bedworth United at the Oval last night.

The Warwickshire side are perilously close to the one Evo-Stik NPL Division One South relegation slot and have Kidsgrove breathing down their necks, so any slip up could prove very costly as they try to secure their step four status for another season.

On a very uneven surface, Bedworth took the lead, with Mitchell Piggon slotting home his third goal in two games, only for Paulo Piliero to level on the stroke of half time.

A well taken penalty by Serge Makofo (pictured) gave Gresley the lead, but they had to hang on determinedly to ensure they took all three points back to the Moat Ground.

Gresley manager Martin Rowe made several changes to the side which played Romulus over a week ago as Matt Roome returned at right back with John Guy, who had recovered from a toe injury, slotting in at left back as Lucas Harrison served the first of his two match ban.

Mitch Hanson was shuffled across to partner Jamie Barrett at the heart of the defence and Kieran O'Connell - who had missed the last six games with a troublesome Achilles injury - and Sam Grice were recalled into midfield.

The match was 15 minutes late kicking off owing to a traffic incident on the M6, with some players and supporters affected by the delay.

However, the delay did not seem to affect the Greenbacks too much, as they looked determined to try and get something from the game.

Clear cut chances were at a premium in the first half with neither side creating anything to test the goalkeepers, but it was the home side who went the closest to opening the scoring as a shot from distance by Andre Westwood flashed just wide of the far post.

O'Connell, racing in on goal, was then brought down by Chris Tullin - with the Bedworth skipper fortunate to see just a yellow card.

Guy took the free kick from just outside the area but his shot went narrowly over the bar.

United were denied by the woodwork when Daniel Dubidat stuck a venomous shot from distance which crashed back off the bar with visiting keeper Mats Morch well beaten.

However, they didn't have long to wait for a goal as Westwood did well to pick out Piggon in the area and the striker took the chance well as he smashed the ball home.

The lead lasted just seven minutes as right on the half-time whistle, Gresley levelled.

Eric Graves did not give up as he harried the Bedworth back line and managed to push the ball forward for Piliero to smash into the net.

Gresley took the lead within a few minutes of the second half starting as Makofo was brought down from behind in the area by Marlon Walters, giving referee Matthew Smith no option but to point to the spot.

Walters was then involved in an unsavoury moment as he kicked out at Makofo, who took exception to the kick.

The referee took the council of his assistants and unbelievably showed both players a yellow card, with Walters very fortunate not to have been walking to the dressing room for an early bath.

Makofo chose to take the spot kick himself and coolly sent Greenbacks keeper James Hogarth-Wren the wrong way for his first goal for the club.

Bedworth's Mitchell Thompson had a golden chance to get his side back on terms but his final shot when very well paced flew high over the bar.

A speculative cross-shot from Greenbacks substitute Chad Degville-Cross came back off the junction of bar and far post and although Westwood reacted quickly, his follow up was well blocked by Morch.

A free kick from Luke Rowe eventually came to Ben Steane, who fired wide before another chance went begging for the home side as a free kick was not converted at the far post.

Guy went close to sealing the game for Gresley but his header, from Piliero's corner, flashed wide of the far post.

At the other end, Morch did well to hold onto a shot from Nathan Lewars as it looked to be heading into the top corner.

The referee managed to find an incredible eight and a half minutes of time to add on and with very nearly the last kick of the game Bedworth almost grabbed a share of the points when Rowe hit a thunderous low shot, but Morch was up to the task and saved well.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters