Login Register

Bollard decision not due until July

By BurtonMail.3520969.BurtonMail  |  Posted: June 16, 2014

Comments (0)

THE fate of Burton’s notorious bollards will not be known until at least the end of July, it has been revealed.

Staffordshire County Council is still considering its options months after it was presented with an independent report, and now says its investigations may not be complete for another month and a half.

In the meantime, the bollards designed to ‘keep pedestrians safe’ remain out of use – as they have been for almost four months.

Mark Winnington, the authority’s cabinet member for economy and infrastructure, said: “The county council and East Staffordshire Borough Council are continuing to work closely together to explore the option for the management of traffic in Burton town centre.

“This involves looking at the feasibility of pedestrianising the area or the possible use of automatic number plate recognition to help deter motorists from flouting the law. We expect to have the findings from those investigations by the end of July.

“While the bollards remain down, we would remind drivers that it is clearly marked that there is no access for cars and motorists who choose to ignore this are not only breaking the law, but potentially putting lives of the members of public at risk.”

A spokesman for the county said earlier this year there were no plans to remove the bollards, but following a dispute over the monitoring of the posts, it was revealed that could be an option, with the introduction of ANPR cameras.

Richard Wolny, who runs Cherrington Cleaners and is a firm critic of the bollards, said he did not think either option would work.

“We need a shared space for cars and pedestrians. Our customers need to be able to get to us. The council needs to work with businesses,” he said.

A review which investigated options for the controversial bollards was published in February, offering three options for the highways department to consider. It had been commissioned at the start of last year following a run of dangerous collisions between cars and the rising posts.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES