NEW Burton Albion signing Stuart Beavon is looking forward to a homecoming of sorts when he arrives at the Pirelli Stadium.
The 30-year-old forward joined the Brewers on a season-long loan from League One Preston North End yesterday.
And Preston boss Simon Grayson revealed that a move closer to home was one of the reasons the ex-FA Vase winner joined Albion.
“Geographically, he has got a house in the Burton area and it all seemed to work,” he said. “I didn’t want to stand in the way of a player who wants to play first-team football.
“Stuart was a player who came to see me on a number of occasions last year and felt he needed to be playing on a regular basis and this opportunity came up for him.
“With the signings we have made, we felt it was a good opportunity for Stuart, we listened to what he had to say and we have given him the chance to leave.
“This isn’t a deal I was desperate to do, but when a player lives in that area and says that he would like to go, you have got to listen to them.”
“This club has what it takes to get promoted,” said the ex-non-league grafter.
“I watched some of the games last season and have seen the players that have come in - so we have a great chance of promotion.
“Having been involved at Preston in the play-offs last season, I didn’t really want to leave League One, but having seen what this club can do I’m really looking forward to joining up with the lads and getting started.”
Beavon is the third Preston player to join the Brewers of late after defender Shane Cansdell-Sherriff and midfielder John Mousinho.
Beavon became the fifth arrival of the summer for Albion after the permanent signings of Shane
Cansdell-Sherriff, George Taft, John Mousinho and Lucas Akins.
Preston could recall the ex-Wycombe man in January but it is considered unlikely.
“We have done the best deal that we can financially, and also with the recall clause in January, we will see how things develop,” said Grayson.
“Like any player, they all want to be playing and last year Beav was in and out of the team due to different reasons, and now he goes there and we wish him well.
“We will analyse the situation in January and see how things are going, but it was a decision that suited Stuart and we have decided that it is too good an opportunity for him to turn down.”
Albion are still expected to sign a goalkeeper and possibly another striker before the season starts away to Oxford on August 9.