A BURTON woman has spoken of her surprise after bomb disposal experts were called to inspect a possible shell found in her back garden.
Nayela Sohail was in her house in Uxbridge Street when a workman discovered the device.
She said she just thought it was a just a piece of metal, but that the man became quite concerned and alerted the police.
The 26-year-old told the Mail: “It was the third day he was here working in the back garden. We’re having it levelled so that we can have more grass laid down so that my son has somewhere to play.
“When he came in he was probably more scared than I was.
“It didn’t look like much to me, just a piece of metal. The workman called his boss, who came round and they decided that the best thing to do was to call the police.
Mrs Sohail said that a decision was then made to call for bomb disposal experts to check that it was not in danger of exploding.
She added: “It took them a while to get here, as I think they came from Derby.
“When they arrived they weren’t really sure what it was at first, but then they told us that it wasn’t dangerous and wouldn’t explode.
“They said that it was an old firing round that was used for practice.
“Because of the L-shape of the garden and the surrounding walls we’ve got, we were told that we were in a safe area and that there was no need for us to evacuate the property.”
Nayela said the incident took her by surprise and that she did not expect something like this to be found in the family’s garden.
She said: “You hear about old explosives left over from the Second World War and things, but I didn’t think anything of it. It was a bit of a shock.
“I wasn’t particularly worried, though. I just let them deal with it and take it away.”
A spokesman for Staffordshire Police said: “We received a call just before 3.25pm on Wednesday.
“Somebody was doing some building work at the back of a property on Uxbridge Street and found what they believed to be a shell.
“The bomb disposal unit attended the property and it was found to be a practice round. It was then removed from the garden.”