Login Register

Car crash victim claims he is ‘lucky to be alive’

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: September 23, 2013

20/09/13 Bryan Surch was 'seriously injured' after being hit by a car. - Clifton Road, Netherseal Bryan Surch was 'seriously injured' (broken nose and lots of cuts and bruises) when he was hit by a car in Swadlincote.

Comments (0)

WITH a broken nose, cuts and bruises all over his face and body, and an injured knee, Bryan Surch looks to be in a pretty bad way. But although the 66-year-old is in a lot of pain and discomfort, he said he feels fortunate that he did not suffer any further injuries following the car crash which left him facing hospital treatment last week.

“I’m lucky to be alive,” he told the Mail. “The crash could have killed me. I could have died easily.”

Mr Surch, of Clifton Road, Netherseal, had been crossing the road to reach the B&M Bargains car park off Civic Way, Swadlincote, when he claims a car turned ploughed into him as he was in the middle of the road.

He said he was thrown onto the bonnet and into the windscreen of the Toyota Aygo car, before falling onto the path.

“People standing nearby told me I broke the windscreen with my face, and then the driver braked and it threw me off onto a gravel path on my face. He stopped just short of me,” he said.

He claims he was careful to look both ways before he started to cross.

Mr Surch was treated by paramedics at the scene, before being taken to hospital where they worked on his broken nose. He was discharged later that day on the condition there was somebody to look after him, and that he would return for more treatment the following day.

He has to return for several more hospital appointments to try to fix the break, which has left him unable to wear glasses. He is also finding it difficult to eat, as the fall damaged the inside of his mouth.

He said: “I’ve never been involved in a car crash before, I’ve never been to hospital before. It was all a bit of a shock.”

Onlookers rushed to help Mr Surch after the crash, which happened just before lunchtime last Tuesday, with one person bringing out a chair, and another offering to call his partner. Emergency services arrived quickly as well.

“I would like to thank the police officer, the ambulance crew, everyone who helped me at the time and people who spoke to the police ” he said.

Derbyshire Police have confirmed the matter was still being investigated, and that nobody had been arrested in connection with the collision at this time.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters