Login Register

Cash raised in memory of Church Gresley cancer mum

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: August 18, 2014

Alison Gobey and Samuel

Comments (0)

HUNDREDS of pounds have been raised from an event held in memory of a young mother who died after a battle with cancer.

Alison Gobey, 37, died from stomach cancer last year, leaving husband Wayne, 38, and their 28-month-old-son Samuel.

The mother-of-one, who lived in of Westminster Drive, Church Gresley, was a keen horticulturalist, and colleagues and friends dedicated an open garden event that raised £332.69 for Perennial, the Gardeners’ Royal Benevolent Society, to her memory.

Mr Gobey said: “There was a record number of visitors this year, 159 I believe.

“People made such generous donations, so I would like to thank everyone that got involved – Alison would have loved it.”

Mrs Gobey, who worked as a horticulturalist in Horsley Woodhouse, in Amber Valley, had been involved in organising the event since 2005.

Her husband said she loved to be surrounded by nature.

The 38-year-old said: “She was in her element when she was busy outdoors creating a masterpiece.”

She previously worked as an accountant, but took a career break to pursue her passion for horticulture.

She studied at the University of Derby, before starting her own garden design and management business.

Alongside her blooming career, She gave birth to Samuel in April 2012.

Mrs Gobey began to feel unwell a few months later.

Mr Gobey added: “She started losing weight and was unable to keep food down. It got to the point where she couldn’t even keep fluid down, it wasn’t normal.”

She went to the doctor’s, and was then referred to the hospital. After several biopsies and operations, she was officially diagnosed with stomach cancer in February last year and started nine bouts of chemotherapy.

Wayne, who works as a maintenance engineer, said: “When we were told it was stage four cancer I did some research. I knew deep down the inevitable was coming, but Alison was determined to fight.”

But Mrs Gobey was told the chemotherapy had not been successful and the cancer was terminal. She died in January this year.

He said: “I was in shock and felt numb, but cancer spread through her like a spider’s web. I wanted to fall apart, but I had Samuel so I didn’t have any other option but to keep going.” He explained that his wife had struggled with the idea of leaving her young son behind, so they created a memory box full of keepsakes for Samuel to look through and remember his mum when he is older. 

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters