A CAT has died from suspected poisoning near Burton after she consumed what is thought to have been antifreeze, the RSPCA has revealed.
The animal rescue charity is now appealing for information after the incident which happened in Branston.
Nine-year-old Scarlet died after she ingested what is thought to have been antifreeze four days after she went missing, despite her owner desperately searching for her.
When she was found collapsed near a neighbour’s drive in Jacklin Close, last month, her heartbroken owner, who does not want to be named, rushed her to a vet and blood tests were carried out, but she suffered kidney failure and had to be put to sleep to prevent her suffering further.
The RSPCA is reminding people that it is an offence to deliberately poison cats and if they are caught and found guilty they could face a prison sentence.
If a cat ingests even a small amount of poison such as antifreeze this can lead to kidney failure and death.
RSPCA inspector Kate Levesely said: “This is a very sad incident and while we do not know if this was a deliberate act or accidental we do want to remind people that deliberately poisoning an animal could mean a £20,000 fine and/or six months in prison under the Animal Welfare Act.
“If anyone has any information about this incident or any related incidents they are urged to contact the RSPCA appeal line on 0300 123 8018. Calls will be treated in confidence.”
If anyone is concerned that their pet may have been poisoned they should contact their vet as soon as possible. They will ask for details of when they suspect the poisoning occurred and symptoms.
Signs that an animal could have been poisoned can include depression, lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties and bad breath twitching or seizures.
People should be careful when putting down substances such as slug pellets and antifreeze, to ensure that other animals are not affected.