IMPROVEMENTS must be made at a fish and chip shop in Barton which failed to meet food hygiene standards for the second time this year.
Barton Fish Bar on Oak Road was visited by an inspector from East Staffordshire Borough Council at the end of April. This was the second visit this year following a request for a revisit.
When the same inspector visited the premises he marked it just two stars out of a possible five, which is classed as ‘requiring improvement.’
Managers have been told that staff need to undertake sufficient training in order to improve standards.
On the inspector’s original visit in January a bottle of Dettol was marked to show much was left.
Since then the level of liquid in the bottle had only gone down by approximately two inches, much less than would have been expected to have been used if the product was used daily.
A report states that during the inspection a member of staff was seen handling raw burgers with their hands before opening the fridge door and getting out a pack of burger buns without washing their hands, posing a high risk of cross-contamination.
The inspector stated: “Staff must thoroughly wash their hands after handling raw meat and before doing any other task.
“Given the practice seen during the inspection it was clear that members of staff did not have an adequate level of understanding about food hygiene practices.
“You must make sure that all staff have received the correct level of training in food hygiene which is relevant to the tasks that they undertake.”
Owner of the chip shop, Amarjit Singh, told the Mail that he did not understand why they had been given such a low score.
He said: “I have done all the things she has asked us to do. I don’t understand.
“I have ran chip shops for 31 years and have never heard some of the things she was telling me to do.”