Login Register

Dead mice found during inspection at ‘dirty’ takeaway

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: November 21, 2012

Express Chicken

Express Chicken

Comments (19)

A BURTON takeaway has been told to clean up its act after it was given a damning report by environmental health officers.

Express Chicken, in Borough Road, received the lowest possible rating of zero under East Staffordshire Borough Council’s Rate My Place scheme.

The takeaway was visited by a hygiene inspector on October 22 and 23, and in the report, which has just been released, the establishment was deemed to need ‘urgent improvement’.

The report highlighted a total of 22 breaches of food, hygiene and safety regulations.

The inspector found two dead mice in the takeaway, along with droppings from the rodents.

The report said: “There were also a large number of holes in the structure of the premises which were large enough to allow pests to access the premises.”

Several breaches of food safety and hygiene regulations were noted, including chicken not being kept heated at the correct temperature and mayonnaise not being stored in a fridge.

There were also cross contamination issues between raw meat and ‘ready-toeat’ foods including salad being on a table used for raw meat preparation and raw burgers kept among ready-to-eat foods.

Chopping boards used for raw meat and salad were stored in contact with each other and tongs used for cooked products was stored with ones for partially cooked food.

One member of staff was also seen handling raw meat and then taking money and packaging cooked foods without washing his hands.

Other hygiene breaches included not having soap or hygienic hand drying materials at any of the hand basins or in the toilets.

The inspector also noted a waste tub in the rear yard which contained waste fat and had no lid.

The standard of cleaning in the premises was said to be ‘very poor’, and some of the main areas of concern in the report included dirty floors and walls and unclean microwaves.

The store’s owners were told to correct the most serious issues immediately, and were given up to two months to rectify less urgent problems.

Despite numerous attempts by the Mail to contact management about the report, nobody was available to comment.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

19 comments

  • Burton Mail  |  December 07 2012, 11:29PM

    The owners Re good guys! The food can be a punt at times but is very competitively priced hence they are busy. The place could do with being cleaned up

    Rate 0
    Report
  • Burton Mail  |  December 05 2012, 8:25AM

    Shut the grubby place down.Not acceptable.

    Rate 0
    Report
  • Burton Mail  |  December 02 2012, 11:17PM

    well this is hilarious, Two "DEAD" mice to me that show precautions were taken..othwerwise the council would have closed the takeaway down on the day.come on people most of you probably got mice in ur homes!! no offence.. to be honest what i have seen in other takaways this is the cleanest one out.. i will still go there :)

    Rate 0
    Report
  • Burton Mail  |  December 01 2012, 2:50PM

    food is very nice from express chicken, and good value for money i will still be making orders from you,

    Rate 0
    Report
  • Burton Mail  |  November 29 2012, 4:49PM

    Noddy do you work at this take away? really no reason to flout food hygiene laws. Get it sorted out and be a responsible food business operator.

    Rate 0
    Report
  • Burton Mail  |  November 29 2012, 9:50AM

    Burton Resident; something tells me you've got more of an interest in this story than most?

    Rate 0
    Report
  • Burton Mail  |  November 27 2012, 11:02AM

    i totaly agree to the mail report i have had food at this place while ago i threw away all food bcuz salad were almost 2-3 dayz old n food was also not in good condition mre importantly their staff needs to be trained up hygenic so they cn do their job properly..

    Rate 0
    Report
  • Burton Mail  |  November 27 2012, 10:19AM

    What's wrong with us, does someone have to get poisoned before a place gets shut down and who would want to eat in a place like this? DRITY

    Rate 0
    Report
  • Burton Mail  |  November 26 2012, 9:22AM

    Just SHUT it untill the management doesn't put corrective actions in place - if for those who like the taste of mice droppings can do so at their homes - not in our take aways

    Rate 0
    Report
  • Burton Mail  |  November 25 2012, 11:55PM

    My visits to this take away has always been good and the food is excellent.

    Rate 0
    Report

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES