Login Register

Derbyshire Premier League cricket: Dunstall double up against Ticknall

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: August 19, 2014

Comments (0)

DUNSTALL completed the double over Ticknall after a hard-fought five-wicket victory at Deer Park took them back above their local rivals in the Derbyshire Premier League table.

Having been asked to bat first, the Ticknall innings got off to the worst possible start with Tom Wood and Luke Harvey dismissed for ducks from the opening over of Dunstall skipper Matt Gouldstone.

Eddie Ikin and Paul Borrington, Ticknall skipper in the absence of Scott Chilman, set about recovering the situation aided by some erratic bowling from Gouldstone.

It wasn't long before the skipper removed himself and fellow opener Charlie Bunting from the attack, introducing spin duo Martin Clewley and Steve Brodrick.

Related content

The miserly spinners soon slowed the rate down, but with Ikin and Borrington patiently picking up runs the game was finely poised when Clewley removed Ikin to a smart catch behind from Andy Malkin with the score on 79.

Further wickets saw the Ticknall innings stutter to 123-6 when Brodrick removed experienced all-rounder Shahid Khan, with only Borrington offering any real resistance.

With the initiative now firmly with the Deer Park side, Zain Abbas joined Borrington at the wicket.

Abbas, batting down the order due to a shoulder injury, offered the support Borrington had been craving and between them they added 86 in the closing overs to take the score to 209-6 at the interval, with Borrington reaching a deserved century after a workmanlike display, holding his sides' innings together.

The Dunstall reply began steadily with Scott Elstone and Andy Malkin taking the score to 33 before Tom Wood took a smart slip catch off Shahid Khan to dismiss Malkin.

Derbyshire Academy youngster Callum Brodrick joined his more senior batting partner to forge a crucial partnership to leave Dunstall well placed at the halfway mark.

Borrington juggled his depleted attack to try to break the stand and eventually was rewarded with Khan finding a way through Brodrick's defence with the score on 112.

Andy Noakes then joined Elstone, adding a further 53 before Noakes was bowled trying to hit over the top.

Significantly, the Ticknall attack was unable to remove Elstone and the Dunstall opener seized the opportunity to bring up his century with a couple of boundaries off Khan.

With victory all but assured, Elstone departed trying to close out the match with another trademark straight drive.

Ticknall shrugged off their defeat in the league to make it to the final of the Derbyshire Premier Cup the following day.

They strolled past struggling Marehay in the semi-final by seven wickets after bowling them out for 145 in only 36 overs.

Both Zain Abbas and Ryan Cowley took three wickets apiece and then Paul Borrington and Eddie Ikin ensured there were few alarms with the bat as Ticknall cruised home with 12 overs to spare.

In the final, Ticknall will face Sandiacre Town. They beat Spondon by six runs in a high-scoring affair.

Sandiacre posted 253 all out off their full 50 overs, with Spondon falling just short on 247-7 in reply.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters