Login Register
 °

Director and firm fined for illegal gas repairs

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: July 03, 2014

Comments (0)

FINES have been dished out to a company director and his firm after he and his staff carried out illegal gas work at restaurants that put business owners and customers’ lives at risk.

Kaysor Ahmed, managing director of Sylhet Welding UK Ltd, previously Sylhet Welding and Engineering, was hauled before the courts after the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that his firm had undertaken gas work at the Rickshaw and Bengal Spice restaurants in Ashby, in 2012.

The work included disconnecting a gas valve, replacing flame supervision devices and reconnecting the gas valve, as well as installing the firm’s gas cooker ranges at the restaurants.

However, it was uncovered that he had undertaken work while not being Gas Safe registered, and he employed others who were also not Gas Safe registered, over a sustained period.

The 42-year-old, from Walsall, pleaded guilty to breaching regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and section 37 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, and was fined £6,600 and ordered to pay costs of £2,028.

He was also banned from being a company director for two years.

Sylhet Welding UK Ltd, of Oxford Street, Bilston, pleaded guilty to breaching regulations 3(2) and 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and was fined £6,600 and ordered to pay costs of £1,118.

The firm had also carried out work at several sites across the country.

HSE inspector Graham Tompkins said: “It is only a matter of luck that no-one has been killed or seriously injured as a result of the illegal gas work carried out by this company.

“They were warned on numerous occasions that they must be Gas Safe registered in order to work with gas and gas appliances, but this was never adhered to. Work was carried out in restaurants across the midlands and south of England over several years. Neither Mr Ahmed nor his company was Gas Safe registered so were not qualified or competent to undertake this work.

“In some cases the installations were left in appalling conditions that put the restaurant staff and customers at real risk of possible fire or explosion.

“Sub-standard work by illegal fitters can also lead to serious health problems.”

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES