A BURTON pub was told by hygiene inspectors that improvements were necessary after a number of areas in the kitchen were found to be dirty.
Inspectors from East Staffordshire Borough Council visited the pub in Newton Road last month.
They gave The Sump a hygiene rating of two out of a possible five.
In a report a number of areas were found not meeting the standards of cleanliness required for establishments that serve food. The pub was undergoing refurbishment at the time.
The report stated that there was no soap or hand towels at the hand-wash basin at the entrance to the kitchen. There was also no soap at the hand-wash basin in the main cooking area of the kitchen.
Managers were instructed to make sure that wash-hand basins were supplied with soap and hygienic hand drying facilities at all times.
The inspector also noted that some raw fish was being stored on the middle shelf in a fridge above ready-to-eat food.
Floors and fridge shelves were also found to be dirty, and cobwebs were seen on the ceiling.
There was concerns that a small gap under the cellar door could allow access for pests, and a large amount of waste oil was being stored in tubs in the kitchen.
The report stated: “The top of the fridge was also dirty and there was a heavily carbonised frying pan on top of it, as well as a build up of grease around the cooking area.”
Managers were told that immediate action needed to be taken in almost all the areas.
Manager at the pub, Jenna Bell, said the low score was due to the inspectors visiting when the pub was being refurbished.
She said: “We have just had a big refurbishment done and there were issues such as the seals around the sink which have been done now.
“Everything has now been done.”
The pub is part of Marstons Taverns.