Login Register

Driver clocked at 93mph during speed crackdown

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: April 16, 2013

  • 16/04/13 Police Operation - A38, Stretton, Burton Speed Awareness Week. Police pulling over drivers who are speeding excessively on the A38 between Branston and Claymills

  • 16/04/13 Police Operation - A38, Stretton, Burton Speed Awareness Week. Police pulling over drivers who are speeding excessively on the A38 between Branston and Claymills

Comments (8)

A SPEEDING motorist has been caught driving at more than 90mph on a road dubbed East Staffordshire’s ‘most high risk’.

The motorist chose the wrong day to break the speed limit by 23mph after he was caught out by police on the A38 yesterday as part of a Europe-wide crackdown on speeding.

Staffordshire Police, along with the Staffordshire Safer Roads Partnership, spent almost six hours patrolling the accident-plagued carrigeway in an effort to snare drivers flouting the law.

Sergeant Rob Gilligan told the Mail that the operation was a ‘success’.

He said: “Speeding is one of the major issues we are clamping down on and this operation, which was taken place across Europe, has allowed us to tackle that problem on one of East Staffordshire’s most high-risk roads.

“The A38 is well known for being a carriageway that has a high number of bad accidents and this is why we wanted to target the road.

“During the six hours we were patrolling, the highest speed clocked was 93 mph.

“We stopped a total of 16 speeding vehicles - drivers of 14 of which were referred for educational courses.

“Two were handed fixed penalty notices.

“We also seized two vehicles as they were being driven without insurance.

“I really hope that these high-visibility patrols show drivers we are taking the issue of speeding along the A38 very seriously.

“I hope this raises awareness and cuts speed, excess speed, across all roads in Staffordshire.

“Drivers should be aware that we are out there targeting those who are breaking the law.”

The operation comes just months after the completion of a safety review on the accident-plagued road.

The review, launched following the deaths of two sisters, saw dangerous gaps along the carriageway closed and the opening of talks about a temporary speed limit.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

8 comments

  • Roger10  |  April 26 2013, 2:16PM

    Speed does not kill, inappropriate speed kills!

    Rate 0
    Report
  • Burhan  |  April 24 2013, 9:58AM

    hmmmmm....roooo has got a point too..

    Rate 0
    Report
  • roooo  |  April 23 2013, 10:04PM

    Likelihood of killing innocent pedestrians by going 23mph over the limit on that stretch of the A38: <10% Likelihood of killing innocent pedestrians by going 23mph over the limit along Violet Way: >90% It's the prioritising of where they do the speed checks that's the problem. The twisty Briz valley road is teeming with speeders despite the speedhumps, and you're going to do far more damage going off the road there, than the A38. You need to grow up and live in the real world phillch. They sit on a bridge in their cosy vans trying to catch a few easy targets rather that getting themselves down to a residential street with their speed guns. No death on the road is acceptable, but with limited resources, I'd rather myself be killed on the A38 by a speeding motorist, than the dozens of kids walking home each day.

    Rate 0
    Report
  • Burhan  |  April 18 2013, 2:14PM

    :-) Thanks for your light remarks truthmonkey. Surely i'm not an approved spped detecting device. I commute daily on this stretch of A38....I assume a lot of motorist are speeding when I witness a 10s of vehicles overtaking me in a minute when i'm doing 70mph myself. I agree with Phillch - speeding kills.

    Rate 0
    Report
  • phillch  |  April 17 2013, 2:15PM

    So what????? are you kidding roooo! So if he/she was to lose control and a member of your family was driving behind or in front of this driver and got killed you'd still find the speed acceptable would you. Grow up. The whole fine money making comment is also stupid. Maybe the fine money should go on educating people such as yourself on road safety and awareness!

    Rate 0
    Report
  • roooo  |  April 17 2013, 12:15PM

    So what if he's doing 93mph on that stretch of the A38 at Stretton (as shown on the photo) - who's he harming? I drive that stretch every day and I don't see many people walking along that bit... Plenty of idiots doing 40mph causing everyone to brake though. Perhaps they should be targeting areas such as residential streets where pedestrians or pets are likely to get injured or killed. What a waste of time and resources. This is just wanting to catch people for the fine money.

    Rate 0
    Report
  • Truthmonkey  |  April 17 2013, 9:35AM

    Perhaps burhan it is because you are not an approved speed detection device and it is just your opinion and perception that people are speeding? Also other drivers may have been issued summons through the post without being stopped. For the reporter Rob Smyth it should be "Driver" not "Drive" in the heading.

    Rate 0
    Report
  • Burhan  |  April 17 2013, 9:20AM

    six hour operation caught only 16 motorists speeding - that's pleasant... How come i witness more 'speeders' when i'm on the roads.

    Rate 0
    Report

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES