Login Register

FULL-TIME: Derby County 3, Charlton Athletic 0

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: March 29, 2014

Comments (0)

DERBY County saw off Charlton Athletic 3-0 at the iPro Stadium to reinforce their Championship play-off hopes.

First-half goals from Johnny Russell and Patrick Bamford put the Rams in control.

The Addicks fought back well after the break but Chris Martin headed his 19th goal of the season late on to seal the points.

Derby started positively, with Craig Bryson, Craig Forsyth and the impressive George Thorne all trying their luck early on.

But Lee Grant was the first goalkeeper to be called into action, when he palmed Johnnie Jackson's 20-yard curler around the post at full stretch in the 14th minute.

Jackson's resultant corner was diverted goalwards by Richard Wood but Grant saved again, low to his right.

Bryson smashed a 20-yard volley inches wide following a half-cleared Russell corner three minutes later - and the Rams took the lead soon after.

Jeff Hendrick's neat pass found Bamford in the box after 18 minutes and he squared for Russell, who controlled the ball before drilling a low right-foot shot into the bottom corner of the net from 15 yards.

Just before the half-hour, Bamford robbed Diego Poyet and teed up Thorne, whose drive was deflected narrowly wide.

From Bryson's corner, Richard Keogh powered a header goalwards but it hit team-mate Jake Buxton and went behind.

After 38 minutes, Russell floated in a cross from the right, which Bamford headed into the danger area.

Jackson tried to head the ball to safety but only succeeded in directing it back to Bamford, who prodded home from six yards.

Derby could have had a third in first-half stoppage time but keeper Ben Hamer bravely blocked at the feet of Andre Wisdom, who had been picked out in the box by Bamford.

Russell tested Hamer from distance only 30 seconds into the second half.

Meanwhile, Charlton could have got back into the game, with Michael Morrison's shot deflected just wide before substitute Callum Harriott forced a good save from Grant, low to his left this time, after a scrappy period of play.

Derby were having to battle to maintain their two-goal lead as Charlton tried to get back into the game.

Another substitute, Joe Piggott, was next to test Grant, just after the hour - the Rams keeper saving well wide to his left.

The Rams weathered the storm and went close to a third goal in the 81st minute - Russell firing inches wide from 20 yards.

They did make it 3-0 in the 84th minute, though, when Martin nipped in at the near post to send a glancing header past Hamer, from Bryson's right-wing corner.

DERBY COUNTY: Grant, Wisdom, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Thorne (Eustace, 71), Bryson, Hendrick, Russell (Naylor, 86), Bamford (Sammon, 71), Martin. Other subs: Legzdins (gk), O’Brien, Whitbread, Bailey.

CHARLTON ATHLETIC: Hamer, Wilson, Morrison, Wood, Wiggins, Poyet, Cousins, Jackson (Petrucci, 82), Ghoochannejhad (Harriott, 46), Sordell (Piggott, 58), Obika. Other subs: Thuram-Ulien (gk), Hughes, Nego, Lennon.

REFEREE: M Haywood (West Yorkshire).


Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters