Login Register

FULL-TIME: York City 0, Burton Albion 0

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: March 29, 2014

Comments (0)

BURTON Albion maintained the League Two status quo with an entertaining but goalless draw at York City this afternoon.

The Brewers dominated the game at Bootham Crescent, and had the better chances, with Billy Kee, Lee Bell, Matty Palmer, Callum McFadzean and Adam McGurk all failing to beat an in-form Nick Pope in the home goal.

Gary Rowett made one change as, with Robbie Weir ruled out with a hamstring injury, skipper Bell slotted into central midfield, while new signing Ashley Hemmings came in on the bench.

Otherwise, it was unchanged from the team which started Tuesday night's win over Wycombe Wanderers, with McGurk and Kee starting up front for the second game in a row.

David Gray and McFadzean occupied the wide roles again, with Jimmy Phillips not fit enough to start after picking up an ankle injury.

Weir picked up a knock early in midweek, and though he was expected to have shaken it off for today's game, the midfielder missed out in favour of Bell.

And the captain made a crucial block early on, after Shane Cansdell-Sherriff's woeful backpass let in Michael Coulson, who rounded Rob Lainton, only to see his shot at an open goal blocked by Bell.

Other than that, Albion were largely in charge, with a series of decent opportunities.

McFadzean, who had combined well with McGurk, rode a series of York challenges before forcing the first of many saves from Pope.

Bell ran onto Ian Sharps' knock-back and thundered in a shot that was heading for the top corner until Pope intervened.

Kee then took over with two attempts from distance. The first, from just inside the half, caught Pope out, but fell wide of the target, while the second smacked against the bar - a great strike.

But York rallied and ended the half with their best chances, as first Coulson's free-kick flashed wide with Lainton scrambling, and then the Brewers custodian saved low down to deny Ryan Bowman after the striker had turned in the area and got a shot away.

It was more of the same after the break, end-to-end football, with Albion shading it on chances created.

Gary Alexander came on for a tiring Kee, and his first touch was to lay off for McFadzean, who was unlucky to see his powerful volley saved by Pope.

Perhaps Albion's best chance fell to Palmer, who was put through by Kee, and saw his shot wriggle through Pope's hands, but the keeper got back to pounce on the ball just before it crossed the line.

In injury-time, MacDonald was put through one-on-one, but flagged offside.

Hemmings came on for his debut and showed he might be a worthy successor to Zeli Ismail with one mesmerising run at the York defence, but it came to nothing.

BURTON ALBION (4-4-2): Lainton; Edwards, Sharps, Cansdell-Sherriff, McCrory; Gray, Bell, Palmer, McFadzean (Hemmings 80); A McGurk (MacDonald 83), Kee (Alexander 73); subs: Knowles, Phillips, Lyness, Holness.

YORK CITY (4-4-2): Pope; Oyebanjo, McCombe, Lowe, Davies; Brobbel, Reed, Penn, Hayhurst (Jarvis 68); Bowman (Andrew 61), Coulson; subs: D McGurk, Montrose, Platt, Ingham, Puri.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters