Login Register
 °

Father claims family forced to quit house from hell

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: April 22, 2013

Comments (2)

A FATHER claims his family have been forced out of its new council house after work by the local authority left the property uninhabitable and exposed potentially deadly asbestos.

Greg Ballington, said he and his wife, Jemma, 25, and their children Demi, six, Lacie, four, and Finley, three months, had no option but to quit 39 South Drive, in Newhall, after South Derbyshire District Council turned it upside down.

The 33-year-old (pictured right) said: “We had to move out because I don’t want my baby breathing that stuff in.

“It’s diabolical they are asking us to stay in that property with nowhere else to go and to pay bills in a property we can’t live in.”

Mr Barrington claims he signed the tenancy agreement on the understanding his family would move to the three-bedroom end terrace shortly before a new kitchen was installed and a water leak fixed in the garden.

However, he claims the council later said the home needed rewiring and re-roofing before beginning the work, while starting to replace the kitchen and upstairs bathroom, after the family moved in.

Consequently they had left to live with Mrs Ballington’s father and his family in New Road, Newhall, after being left without a kitchen, bath, shower or washing machine.

Signs had been erected outside their home warning people not to enter without hard hats or breathing apparatus, while external scaffolding had been put up and wires left exposed inside.

The authority said the work was costing £10,000.

A spokesman said: “We are sorry for any disruption as some of the work was brought forward so it could be completed within a short time.

“If the work was left until a later date there could have been damage to any decoration in the home Mr Ballington carried out.”

She said contractors always ensured tenants had cooking and bathroom facilities after each day of work.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

2 comments

  • Burhan  |  April 23 2013, 10:46AM

    yes, but this totally contradicts on how the ocunils deals with private landlords...They are taken to the courts for such action....double standards ehhh

  • comments  |  April 23 2013, 7:52AM

    Hardly uninhabitable! What I see is a kitchen being renovated at the tax payers expense and an ungrateful tennent. As for the pictures to support such a horrendous story or neglect - well two of kids, one of a sign placed in a room, some scaffolding laying down in the garden, a switch that has been moved and an undecorated kitchen - big deal! If there was asbestos HSE would not allow it to be lived in, scaremongering at its best for a local rag.

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES