A FATHER claims his family have been forced out of its new council house after work by the local authority left the property uninhabitable and exposed potentially deadly asbestos.
Greg Ballington, said he and his wife, Jemma, 25, and their children Demi, six, Lacie, four, and Finley, three months, had no option but to quit 39 South Drive, in Newhall, after South Derbyshire District Council turned it upside down.
The 33-year-old (pictured right) said: “We had to move out because I don’t want my baby breathing that stuff in.
“It’s diabolical they are asking us to stay in that property with nowhere else to go and to pay bills in a property we can’t live in.”
Mr Barrington claims he signed the tenancy agreement on the understanding his family would move to the three-bedroom end terrace shortly before a new kitchen was installed and a water leak fixed in the garden.
However, he claims the council later said the home needed rewiring and re-roofing before beginning the work, while starting to replace the kitchen and upstairs bathroom, after the family moved in.
Consequently they had left to live with Mrs Ballington’s father and his family in New Road, Newhall, after being left without a kitchen, bath, shower or washing machine.
Signs had been erected outside their home warning people not to enter without hard hats or breathing apparatus, while external scaffolding had been put up and wires left exposed inside.
The authority said the work was costing £10,000.
A spokesman said: “We are sorry for any disruption as some of the work was brought forward so it could be completed within a short time.
“If the work was left until a later date there could have been damage to any decoration in the home Mr Ballington carried out.”
She said contractors always ensured tenants had cooking and bathroom facilities after each day of work.