PACKED full of 100 tasty recipes, the first ever Ella’s Kitchen Cook Book (The Red One) encourages children of all ages to get hands on and messy in the kitchen and make mealtimes fun.
This cake is a sweet and scrummy introduction to ginger – have fun helping your little ones discover new tastes for their developing taste buds.
Makes 8 cakes.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
You will need:
75g/2½oz unsalted butter
150g/5½oz golden syrup or black treacle
225g/8oz self-raising flour
2 tsps ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
225g/8oz coarse cut orange marmalade
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark.
2. Grease a 20cm/8 inch square cake tin and line the base with baking parchment.
3. Melt the butter and syrup in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring well to combine. Remove the mixture from the heat and set aside.
4. Sift the flour, ginger and cinnamon into a bowl, then slowly pour the syrup mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine.
5. Add the marmalade, egg, orange juice and 1 tbsp of hot water and combine to make a soft mixture.
6. Add a further 1–2 tablespoons of hot water if it is too stiff.
7. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and spread evenly. Bake the cake for 30–35 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
8. Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes in the tin before carefully removing it to a wire rack. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or cold with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.
Ella’s Kitchen produces organic baby and toddler food and Ella’s Kitchen The Cook Book – the Red One is out now priced £14.99 and published by Hamlyn. Visit EllasKitchen.co.uk for more information.