Login Register

Gresley FC 2 Ilkeston FC 3 - match report

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: August 04, 2014

Comments (0)


A LATE winner from Ilkeston substitute Curtis Burrows denied Gresley what would have been a fully deserved draw against their Premier Division visitors.

Alex Steadman got the home side off to a good start only for Messiah McDonald and James Reid to give the Robins the lead at half-time.

Gresley struck early in the second half to level the game only for Burrows to snatch the late winner for Ilkeston.

Related content

The Moatmen got off to a bright start but the first clear chance fell to the visitors when Michael Williams blazed his shot well over the bar when he should have done much better.

Gresley's first goal came as a result of some good football down the left which resulted in Rob Mulonga laying the ball on for Steadman to smash past the keeper Jordan Smith and in at the far post.

Ilkeston were level when McDonald took advantage of some slack defending to power in a low shot which gave Gresley keeper Tom Turner no chance.

Seven minutes later and more poor defending in the box saw the Robins take the lead as Reid poked the ball in at the far post from close in.

Ilkeston went close to adding a third goal a couple of minutes later but Turner got down well to save Kane Richards' low shot.

Gresley's final chance of the half came from Jack Langston who struck a low shot from 22 yards which Smith did well to hold on.

Gresley came out for the second half and were immediately putting Ilkeston under pressure.

That told four minutes in when Kieran O'Connel found Steadman, who made no mistake, drilling his low shot into the net.

Langston then went close with a free kick which blistered the paint on the top of the bar and then Brad Wells also went close, firing just over.

Steadman almost completed his hat-trick but his effort flew agonisingly past the far post with Smith beaten.

Both sides made numerous changes and it was one of Gresley's substitutes who went close to giving Gresley the lead once more.

Callum Riddell had only been on the field a matter of a few minutes when he hit a tremendous shot which Smith superbly touched onto the bar, even though the referee Mr Hatfield chose to give a goal kick.

Another poor decision from the official came when Matt Roome clearly tackled an Ilkeston player cleanly in the area pushing the ball out for a corner.

To Gresley's amazement, the referee pointed to the spot. However, justice was done as Turner chose the correct way to dive to push Richards' spot kick away for a corner.

The winner came with three minutes of normal time remaining.

Gresley had several chances to clear the ball but failed and Burrows was able to fire the ball home.

GRESLEY FC: Turner, Roome, Harrison, Land, Barrett (c), Graves, Mulonga, Langston, Steadman, O'Connell, Wells. Subs (all used): Ritchie-Smith, Riddell, Peel, Wright, Smyth, Glenn.

ILKESTON FC: Smith, Shaw, Reid, Wright, Maguire, Lang, Chettle, Morgan, McDonald, Richards, Williams. Subs (used): Storey, Burrows, Gordon, Simons, Adams.Unused: Wallace, Hunter.

REFEREE: K Hatfield.


Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters