Login Register

Gresley denied late on by Moors

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: July 17, 2014

ON TARGET ... Eric Graves

Comments (0)

A GOAL on 73 minutes from Michael Taylor was enough to give Solihull Moors the edge over Gresley Rovers in a very even game at the Moat Ground.

Indeed, if Gresley had managed to convert their chances the result would have had a distinctly different look about it.

Gresley started brightly and were soon testing keeper Chamberlain, with Eric Graves hitting a tidy shot which was well held.

With their first attempt on goal, Moors took the lead. A free kick from the left by Greg Braithwaite was met with a thundering header by Omar Bogle that beat Alex Townsend.

Related content

However the lead only lasted three minutes as Gresley hit back in a similar fashion. A cross from the left by Rob Malonga was headed past Chamberlain by Graves.

There were then good chances at both ends which were only denied with excellent last-ditch tackles from both sides.

Gresley's Mitch Hanson then fed Kieran O'Connell but the final shot was blocked. O'Connell was then denied from giving his side the lead as his shot crashed back off the near post with the rebound being headed over the bar.

O'Connell had the best chance to give the home side the lead when the referee indicated a hand ball in the Moor's area. The striker took the spot kick but Chamberlain chose the correct way to dive, pushing the ball away and sending both sides in at the break all square.

As was expected both sides made extensive changes throughout the second half. Gresley's new signing, keeper Tommy Turner, replaced Townsend at the start.

But the action was at the other end with Mulonga's effort from Hanson's cross pushed wide by the keeper and then Hanson himself having his header cleared off the line from Callum Riddell's corner kick.

Jack Langston flashed John Guy's free kick narrowly past the upright before Taylor popped up to dance his way into the area before scoring with the help of the far post.

Both managers would have been pleased with the run out for their players with the only disappointment being Gresley not having a share of the spoils at the very least.

GRESLEY: Townsend, Hanson, Harrison, Barrett (c), Strzyzewski, Graves, Mulonga, Roome, Steadman, O'Connell. Wells. Subs: Guy, Langston, Ritchie-Smith, Peel, Robinson, Riddell, Johns, Wright, Turner.

REFEREE: Roy Faunch.


Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters