Login Register

Gresley unfortunate in reverse to high-flyers

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: January 07, 2013

Comments (0)

GRESLEY can feel themselves a little unlucky not to have got a share of the points after losing to second-placed Stamford at the Moat Ground on Saturday.

Richard Hanslow had given the home side the perfect start after just five minutes when he followed up Marc Strzyzewski’s header, which had been blocked.

However two goals in seven minutes at the end of the first half gave the visitors the lead, and with Gresley looking to get back into the game Ricky Miller fired his second goal and Stamford’s third with just minutes remaining.

Gresley were forced into to making a change to the starting line-up with Marc Goodfellow replacing the injured Rob Spencer - who will miss the rest of the season - and James Jepson coming back into midfield at the expense of Mickey Lyons.

Opening very well, Gresley took the lead when Jepson’s corner from the left was strongly headed towards goal, and though his effort was blocked, Hanslow following up hammered the ball home from close in.

Jodan Nadat then saw his shot was blocked, but minutes later Gresley were very unlucky not to have added to their total.

Hanslow, in a clear onside position when the ball was played to him, cheekily back-heeled the ball into the net but was harshly adjudged to have been offside.

Holmes then saw a shot fizz just the wrong side of the post.

Stamford should have levelled things when a free kick from Andy Hall picked out James Ozmen unmarked but his shot was a wild one going well over the bar.

However, they were back on terms minutes later and it was more poor defending which saw Hall race through before slipping the ball to Jack Gibson, who was left in space and he made no mistake hitting the ball past keeper Gary Hateley.

Things went from bad to worse for Gresley as they conceded another goal just before the break, and again it was the result of some poor defending.

A run down the left ended with Miller being given the ball and he coolly beat Hateley.

Gresley started the second half brightly but it was the visitors who had the best of the early chances, with Jack McGovern making a great run down the right but his low cross into the area evaded both Stamford players racing forward.

Stamford’s next chance should have resulted in a goal when Gibson made a quick break and, with just Hateley to beat, hit an awful shot that went well wide.

Gresley were pushing forward looking to get something out of the game but finding it difficult to break down some resolute defending by the visitors.

Of course this left Gresley vulnerable to the quick break, and twice Stamford capitalised on this with two chances.

The first was denied by Hateley at his near post blocking Miller’s shot, but the Gresley keeper failed to stop Miller’s next chance as again the frontman beat a static defence before flashing a shot past Hateley and into the net.

With the game almost at an end, Gresley substitute Aaron Dillon went close to reducing the deficit when his goal-bound shot was deflected, leaving Stamford keeper Matt Finley rooted to the spot but agonisingly for Gresley the ball flew the wrong side of the upright.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters