Login Register

Health inspectors leave Galaxy without stars . . .

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: October 09, 2012

Comments (1)

A TOWN centre takeaway has received another blow after being given a damning report from council food safety inspectors.

Galaxy Pizza, in High Street, Burton received the lowest possible rating of zero, under East Staffordshire Borough Council’s Rate My Place scheme.

The report was published days before the shop’s owner, Rashid Jwamir, was due to face members of the council’s licensing committee after a request by police to strip it of its late-night refreshment licence.

Inspectors who visited the restaurant on August 31 found 15 breaches of food safety guidelines and said food hygiene awareness of management and staff was ‘very poor’.

The inspector said: “Raw food, such as burgers, chicken legs and chicken nuggets were served next to ready-to-eat foods such as salad in the display chiller.

This may result in cross-contamination.

“You must use separate refrigerators for raw and ready-to-eat food and if this is not possible, you must ensure raw meat and fish products are stored below readyto- eat foods so they cannot contaminate them.”

Other breaches included a display chiller containing salad not working, meaning the food was not being refrigerated, areas of the kitchen which were dirty and a lack of hand-drying facilities.

Structural problems included split and damaged door seals, a blocked storm drain at the rear of the premises and a hole around a boiler pipe large enough to allow pests to enter the premises.

Meanwhile, the business was still registered to a previous owner while food safety management record-keeping procedures were not in place.

Management was told to correct the most serious issues immediately, given up to a month to rectify less urgent problems and until December 12 to improve food hygiene training among staff.

Mr Jwamir told the Mail: “The man came in and he said you have to fix all these things and we have done it now.

“It’s all done now. The restaurant is clean, there are no problems.”

The owner is due to appear before members of the licensing committee tomorrow after police outlined repeated breaches of its late night refreshment licence and said they would be taking the owner to court over the breaches.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • Burton Mail  |  October 09 2012, 12:24PM

    The damage is done, I for one won't eat at a place with such a disregard for hygiene - whether they've now fixed it or not, that sort of thing is ingrained.