Cairns, Tuffey unaware of ICC probe


Cairns, Tuffey unaware of ICC probe

Former New Zealand internationals Chris Cairns and Daryl Tuffey have expressed their shock at seeing their names linked to an International Cricket Council anti-corruption investigation.

The pair, along with another former Black Cap Lou Vincent, were identified in the media as being under investigation by the ICC's anti-corruption and security unit (ACSU) in relation to match-fixing allegations.

While batsman Vincent said on Thursday he was co-operating with the probe, all-rounder Cairns and bowler Tuffey both said they had no knowledge of their reported involvement.

In a statement quoted by Cricinfo, Cairns said: "No representative of the ICC, New Zealand Cricket or the New Zealand Players' Association has contacted me in regard to any connection by me to an investigation into alleged fixing.

"I have no information, and was therefore shocked and dismayed to discover the speculation in today's media."

The former Nottinghamshire man, who last year successfully sued Lalit Modi for libel when the former Indian Premier League commissioner accused him of being involved in match-fixing, has stepped down from his commentary role.

He added: "Twenty months ago, the High Court in England ruled that I've done nothing wrong - which is on record for everyone to see.

"Like you, I will be looking for answers."

Like Cairns, Tuffey said he had now knowledge of any investigation.

He told New Zealand's ONE News: "I'm in the dark, the allegations are a shock to me.

"Obviously my name has been brought up in some circles somewhere down the line and I need to find out what is going on."

He added: "I'm seeking legal representation today and until I've spoken to them (solicitors) I've got no further comment to make."

The ICC and New Zealand Cricket confirmed the existence of the investigation on Wednesday, with reports suggesting three former Black Caps players were being looked into.

Batsman Vincent, who played 23 Tests and 102 one-day internationals for New Zealand - most recently in 2007 - said in a statement quoted by Cricinfo: "I wish to let everyone know that I am co-operating with an ongoing ICC anti-corruption investigation that has been made public today.

"This investigation is bound by a number of rules and regulations that mean I am unable to make any further public comment.

"I will personally talk to the public when I am able to. In the meantime I cannot comment. Please respect me and my family's privacy until such time."

NZC chief executive David White earlier confirmed none of the current Black Caps team were under suspicion.

"We have been aware of this investigation for a number of months and we are shocked and surprised by the allegations," White said.

"We support the ICC's investigation as corruption has no place in our sport.

"No current New Zealand players are being investigated. No games played in New Zealand are being investigated.

"Lastly, no matches under New Zealand Cricket's jurisdiction are being investigated."

White's comments came after a report published in the New Zealand Herald claimed an investigation from the ICC's anti-corruption unit had been taking place for the past four months was "poised to blow the lid off the biggest sporting scandal in New Zealand's history".

The ICC responded with a statement which read: "The ICC confirms that it has indeed been working closely over the past few months with its colleagues in the domestic anti-corruption units of member boards to investigate these and related matters."

< Back
Reddit Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Twitter Bebo

Latest Sport

Today's Features