Car thief traced via iPhone app
A thief who stole a car got has been caught after he was tracked by software on an iPhone left inside the vehicle.
Andrew Plant took the car after its owner briefly popped in to a restaurant and left the keys in the ignition.
However, the owner's phone was still in the car and loaded with a pre-installed tracking app which was used to track down the vehicle to a road in Small Heath, Birmingham.
The owner then called the police who arrested 41-year-old Plant, of no fixed address, nearby.
He was sentenced to 12 weeks in jail for the theft at Birmingham Magistrates' Court.
Pc Leanne Chapman, of West Midlands Police, encouraged people to install tracker software on any of their electronic items as " they're much more likely to get them back" if stolen.
- Red-faced driver hits town bollard
- Mother 'gobsmacked' at having to pay for lost property
- Messy dog owners hit with hefty fines
- Tip-offs lead to fresh wave of police raids on suspected drug hideouts
- Multi-million pound A50 plan will 'improve road safety and ease conjestion'
- Drug baron jailed over cocaine ring