Carrick pulls out of England squad
Michael Carrick has withdrawn from the England squad for Wednesday night's friendly with Scotland due to an eye infection, the Football Association has confirmed.
The 32-year-old midfielder had been in line to win his 30th cap at Wembley.
A statement published on www.thefa.com read: "Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick has withdrawn from the England squad to face Scotland due to an eye infection.
"Carrick, who has been capped 29 times by England, has returned to his club and misses the game on Wednesday evening."
Carrick was named the man of the match during Manchester United's FA Community Shield win over Wigan on Sunday.
United begin their Barclays Premier League title defence at Swansea on Saturday.
- Red-faced driver hits town bollard
- Mother 'gobsmacked' at having to pay for lost property
- Tip-offs lead to fresh wave of police raids on suspected drug hideouts
- Multi-million pound A50 plan will 'improve road safety and ease conjestion'
- Messy dog owners hit with hefty fines
- Drug baron jailed over cocaine ring