England call up Borthwick, Tredwell
England have called up spinners Scott Borthwick and James Tredwell to their Ashes Test squad following the retirement of Graeme Swann.
Uncapped leg-spinner Borthwick will be available, alongside slow left-armer Monty Panesar, for the Boxing Day Test in Melbourne.
Tredwell, who has played just one Test - more than three years ago in Bangladesh, will also join the squad in Melbourne but not in time to figure in the fourth Test.
England have already lost the Ashes, conceding an unassailable 3-0 lead to their hosts after a third successive wide-margin defeat in Perth last week.
An England and Wales Cricket Board press release read: "Borthwick will arrive into Melbourne later today, will train with England...and will be available for selection for the (fourth) Test, beginning on Boxing Day.
"Tredwell will arrive in Melbourne during the fourth Test and will be available for selection for the final Test in Sydney beginning on January 3."
Panesar remains the likeliest replacement for Swann in the first instance, for the final two matches of what has been a tough series for England.
- Hospital chiefs reveal £1m cost of free parking
- Religious leaders back petition on food poverty as new data shows sharp rise in handouts
- Father 'gutted' over primary school choice
- Call for answers after mental health travel support axed
- 'I was trying to get out of it' says banned driver in Facebook posts
- Driving ban plea falls on deaf ears as man faces losing business