Ferguson dampens transfer speculation
Sir Alex Ferguson has ruled out making any significant purchases during next month's transfer window.
Whilst Manchester United tend to stay out of the mid-winter scramble for new players, it is not entirely unknown for Ferguson to bolster his squad. Henrik Larsson is one player who springs to mind, whilst Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra both arrived in January.
However, despite fresh rumours linking the Red Devils with Everton full-back Leighton Baines, Ferguson told United Review: "Don't hold your breath waiting for Manchester United to jump through the transfer window when it opens next week."
He went on: "If you believed everything you read we would have the biggest squad in Europe, not to mention becoming bankrupt.
"It's been open season to link us with a stack of players, admittedly some very good ones, but it just isn't going to happen.
"You can never say never in football because you don't know who might become available, but speaking generally, I am not looking to do any serious business in January.
"I don't have to because I am more than satisfied with the players I have in my squad, a group as good as I have had in my time at Old Trafford."
- On-loan George Thorne waits until the end of the season at Derby County to decide on his future
- Gary Rowett wants to his Burton Albion side another step in the play-offs this season
- Rolleston CC dig in for lion's share of points at home to Ilkeston Rutland
- James Benstead and Callum Brodrick on fire in Dunstall draw
- Hospital chiefs reveal £1m cost of free parking
- Religious leaders back petition on food poverty as new data shows sharp rise in handouts
- Taxi price hike plans help out hard-up drivers
- Father 'gutted' over primary school choice
- Call for answers after mental health travel support axed
- Copter tragedy cops plagued by prankster