Freezing conditions force postponements
The freezing conditions began to take their toll as the first weekend football fixtures were called off on Friday morning.
The npower League One games at Scunthorpe, Crawley and Bury all fell victim to frozen pitches while the League Two matches at Accrington, Rochdale and Southend were postponed for the same reason.
The racing programme has also been hard hit, with Saturday's scheduled meetings at Taunton and Haydock called off along with Towcester on Sunday, while Lingfield and Ascot are under threat.
Both Ascot and Lingfield were called off around midday, meaning no turf racing in the UK this weekend.
Meanwhile, the League One matches at Hartlepool and Crewe joined the list of postponed games along with League Two's clash between Torquay and Chesterfield, which succumbed to a waterlogged pitch.
- SLIDESHOW: British Superbikes starts this weekend for Buildbase BMW Motorrad riders Ryuichi Kiyonari and James Westmoreland
- Aaron Webster named Burton Albion's greatest ever player in fans' poll
- Johnny Russell admits Burnley are out of sight for Derby County
- Ex-Burton Albion star praised for his 'old school honesty' by Derby County boss
- Hospital chiefs reveal £1m cost of free parking
- Taxi price hike plans help out hard-up drivers
- Religious leaders back petition on food poverty as new data shows sharp rise in handouts
- Scarlet fever cases soar in East Staffordshire
- Copter tragedy cops plagued by prankster
- Tory removed from role over comments