Gillan dons wig for Smith swansong
Matt Smith was not the only one wearing a wig in the Doctor Who Christmas special as writer Steven Moffat revealed Karen Gillan also had a hairpiece fitted for her return to the show.
The Scottish actress made a brief appearance as Amy Pond at the end of the episode as viewers saw Smith bow out as the time lord and hand over the controls of the Tardis to Peter Capaldi.
Smith had to wear a wig after having his head shaved for his role in Ryan Gosling's film How to Catch a Monster, while Gillan had her hair cut off for the Marvel sci-fi film Guardians of the Galaxy.
Moffat said: "They're very good wigs but they're both wigs. Though in Karen's case that's her own hair.
"That wig is made of her own hair, it's just detachable now.
"When they cut her hair they made her a wig of her own hair. Didn't she look lovely?"
He said he had no hesitation in bringing Gillan back for Smith's last episode, saying the pair were "so iconic".
He said:"It was just nice to bring her back, also I just thought it would be good for Matt to have her on set."
Moffat said Smith's "heartfelt, brilliant and ancient" performance as an ageing Doctor was perfect, saying: "It's an end of an era, he should talk that way. You need a combination of huge sadness and lucky it doesn't end here".
- Chesterfield sell out extra tickets for Brewers clash
- Mark Turner: Derbyshire blew chance of victory on opening morning
- REPORT: Derbyshire unable to clinch victory in first home game of season
- Derby County striker Chris Martin impressed with the impact made by on-loan West Brom midfielder George Thorne
- Hospital chiefs reveal £1m cost of free parking
- Religious leaders back petition on food poverty as new data shows sharp rise in handouts
- Father 'gutted' over primary school choice
- Call for answers after mental health travel support axed
- 'I was trying to get out of it' says banned driver in Facebook posts
- Taxi price hike plans help out hard-up drivers