Killer on the run after day release
A prisoner serving a life sentence for murder is on the run after he disappeared while on day release.
Brian Lynch, 44, has not been seen since 3pm on Thursday when he went missing in Preston city centre.
He was jailed in 1988 for the killing of 21-year-old Chi Yeung Yip in Clayton, Manchester.
Lynch was moved last December to serve the remainder of his sentence at HMP Kirkham, in Lancashire.
Detective Inspector Jon Clegg said: "We do not believe that Lynch is a risk to the public but we are nevertheless very keen to trace him and return him to prison to serve the remainder of his sentence.
"Although he could still be in Lancashire, there is a possibility he may travelled back to the Greater Manchester area and so we would ask the public to be vigilant and report any sightings to the police - any details the public may have could be crucial."
Lynch is described as 5ft, of stocky build, with blue eyes, short, cropped ginger hair and an unshaven complexion. He was wearing black trousers, a black jacket and dirty grey suede and leather trainers.
Anyone with information should phone 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- Departed Burton Albion legend Aaron Webster: I could have been a contender
- In-form Derbyshire and Hampshire clash at Rose Bowl
- Alex MacDonald, Adam Reed and Dominic Knowles sign on as Burton Albion start their summer recruitment
- Final ball drama sees Dunstall hold leaders Swarkestone as Scott Elstone stars with bat and ball
- Queen's defends having sales staff in maternity ward
- Travellers move in at town leisure centre
- POLL: 'Unglamorous' Burton is becoming a holiday hotspot
- Burton taxi firms anger at licence fee hikes
- Absent councillor treating residents with contempt, claims parish council
- Stanhope closure causes cop chaos