Man charged with teen stab killing
A man has been charged with the murder of teenager Ajmol Alom, Scotland Yard said.
The 16-year-old, described as a star pupil with "a very bright future" ahead of him, was stabbed in the leg after he and his friends were confronted by a gang wearing hoods and bandanas in Spey Street, Poplar, east London, at 9.50pm on Monday.
Ajmol was badly wounded in the thigh, while a friend of the same age was stabbed through the cheek. Both were taken to an east London hospital, where Ajmol died.
Aminur Nazir Khan, 19, from Poplar, has been charged with murder and attempted murder, the Metropolitan Police said. He will appear at Thames Magistrates' Court on Thursday.
A second 19-year-old has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in custody at an east London police station.
Tributes have been paid to Ajmol as a "caring and thoughtful" person.
Chris Dunne, headteacher at Langdon Park School, said Ajmol was a star pupil awaiting his GCSE results next week who had a "very bright academic future ahead of him".
"He was a very, very splendid young man," he said. "Hardworking, industrious, but also a very caring and thoughtful young man.
"He was very able in all areas, but that didn't mean he didn't work incredibly hard. He came to all the revision classes, he worked flat-out.
"The exam results will come out next Thursday and he will have very good results."
- Court orders soar to 'worrying' levels after council tax support cap introduced
- Red-faced driver hits town bollard
- Tip-offs lead to fresh wave of police raids on suspected drug hideouts
- Multi-million pound A50 plan will 'improve road safety and ease conjestion'
- Mother 'gobsmacked' at having to pay for lost property
- Messy dog owners hit with hefty fines