Man dies after nightclub shooting
A man has died after being shot during a private function inside a nightclub in London's West End, Scotland Yard said.
The dead man is thought to be aged 31 but has not yet been formally identified although officers believe they know who he is.
The man died in hospital after suffering multiple gunshot wounds at around 3am today at the Avalon club in Shaftesbury Avenue.
One man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and is being questioned at a south London police station.
A police spokesman said: " Police and London Ambulance Service attended to find a man suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.
"He was taken to hospital but died from his injuries.
"We believe we know the identity of the deceased but await formal identification. Next of kin are aware."
Shaftesbury Avenue and a section of Wardour Street have been closed while police investigate.
The Avalon Soho describes itself as a cocktail lounge with live DJs every night.
The website says it is "a revitalised venue that oozes creativity and class" which brings "a unique and stylish vibe to the heart of the West End's party scene".
Police are appealing for anyone who was at the Avalon nightclub last night or in the early hours of this morning or who has information about the shooting to call the incident room on 020 8785 8244 or call Crimestoppers anonymously 0800 555 111.
- Hospital chiefs reveal £1m cost of free parking
- Religious leaders back petition on food poverty as new data shows sharp rise in handouts
- Father 'gutted' over primary school choice
- Taxi price hike plans help out hard-up drivers
- Call for answers after mental health travel support axed
- Driving ban plea falls on deaf ears as man faces losing business