Man due in court on murder charge
A 22-year-old man is due to appear in court today charged with the murder of an elderly man in the early hours of Christmas Day.
The body of Bernard James Smith, known locally as Jim, was discovered at the junction of Shakespeare Road and Wordsworth Avenue on the Highfields estate in Stafford at around 12.50am on Wednesday.
A post-mortem examination revealed 83-year-old Mr Smith died as a result of multiple chest injuries, Staffordshire Police said.
Joseph Nicholas Moscicki, 22, from Little Acres, Gorse Ride North, Finchampstead, in Wokingham, has been charged with Mr Smith's murder.
Police said he also faces a further count of failing to provide a specimen of breath for analysis.
It is thought Mr Smith was returning from a night out at a social club to his home in sheltered housing off Shakespeare Road when he was fatally injured.
Moscicki, who is in custody, is due to appear at Stafford Crown Court for a preliminary hearing.
- Hospital chiefs reveal £1m cost of free parking
- Religious leaders back petition on food poverty as new data shows sharp rise in handouts
- Taxi price hike plans help out hard-up drivers
- Father 'gutted' over primary school choice
- Copter tragedy cops plagued by prankster
- MP meeting in bid to get to bottom of booze plans