Man faces plane bomb hoax charge
A man will appear in court today after being charged over an alleged bomb hoax that led to an aircraft being diverted.
Alan Patey, 49, of no fixed address, has been charged with making a bomb hoax and will appear at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court.
A 57-year-old man was also arrested after the plane was forced to land at Stansted Airport in Essex on September 20.
The Sri Lankan Airlines A330 Airbus, which was carrying 267 passengers and crew, was due to land at Heathrow Airport but was diverted to Stansted just after 7.30pm.
Sources said the drama unfolded after a passenger was overheard claiming "something" was on board the flight in the luggage hold.
- TV licence prosecutions are 'unfair on the poor'
- Cabinet posts for rebels after helping to oust council leader
- New borough leader proposes council tax freeze
- 'Vital A38 changes have to happen or drivers will die' says Burton's MP
- £15k taxpayer cash used for judicial review
- Drivers say they've had enough of the potholes blighting Burton's roads