Man held after fatal road crash
Police have arrested a man on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving after a crash which left a biker in a critical condition in hospital and his female passenger dead.
Gwent Police named today the 40-year-old pillion passenger who lost her life in the accident as Claire Victoria Franklin, of Caerphilly, south Wales.
The 31-year-old motorcyclist, who is also from Caerphilly, is in a critical condition at University of Wales Hospital, Cardiff.
The accident between the motorcycle and a red Peugeot 306 estate happened on Pandy Road, Bedwas, near Caerphilly, at around 5.15pm yesterday.
"The 33-year-old driver of the red Peugeot, who is from the Abertillery area, has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving whilst unfit through drink or drugs and is currently in custody," a police spokesman said.
"Police are appealing for any witnesses to the collision or anyone who may have seen the car or the motorbike before the collision to call Gwent Police on 101 quoting log number 407 23/12/13.
- Boys to men: Frazer Clarke and Zach Parker eye ABAs glory in Liverpool
- SLIDESHOW: Solid start for TAG Racing and Buildbase BMW Motorrad at Brands Hatch
- Rolleston 3rds open up with a win in Six South but Trentside 2nds fall to a nine-wicket defeat to A&B
- Barton fireworks ensure a successful run chase
- Hospital chiefs reveal £1m cost of free parking
- Religious leaders back petition on food poverty as new data shows sharp rise in handouts
- Father 'gutted' over primary school choice
- Call for answers after mental health travel support axed
- 'I was trying to get out of it' says banned driver in Facebook posts
- Driving ban plea falls on deaf ears as man faces losing business