Mother held over daughter's death
A mother has been remanded in custody charged with murder after her eight-year-old daughter was found dead in a block of flats.
Polly Chowdhury, 34, was held after paramedics discovered the injured child, Ayesha Ali, at her home on Thursday.
Police were called to the property in Chadwell Heath, east London, shortly after 11.30am. The girl was pronounced dead at the scene.
Chowdhury, of Bedwell Court, Broomfield Road, was taken to hospital in Romford for treatment for minor injuries and was arrested on suspicion of murder after being discharged.
She was remanded in custody during a short hearing at Barkingside Magistrates' Court and will appear before a judge at the Old Bailey on Tuesday, court officials said.
The results of a post-mortem examination on her daughter have yet to be announced.
The death is being investigated by the Metropolitan Police's homicide and major crime command (HMCC), Scotland Yard said.
- Gary Rowett backs Matty Palmer to return in style for Burton Albion
- Steve McClaren says Derby County's style of football will bring back crowds to iPro Stadium
- SLIDESHOW: Burton Junior Football League Under-10s, Under-11s and Under-12s round-up
- Burton Junior Football League Under-16s and Under-18s round-up
- Council chiefs call for safety talks with taxi drivers
- Shopping centre bosses apologise over new car park system chaos
- Woman left to foot bill for driving over bollard
- Mother 'gobsmacked' at having to pay for lost property
- Head speaks out on school's fine system
- Taxi bosses talk about industry 'difficulties'