Mourinho keeps Cole opinion quiet
Jose Mourinho refused to publicly criticise Ashley Cole for attending Arsenal's Christmas party this week, but does not plan to select the England left-back for Chelsea's top-of-the-table trip to the Emirates Stadium.
The Blues tackle the Gunners on Monday bidding for a victory that could take them top of the Barclays Premier League at Christmas.
Cole, who made a controversial move from Arsenal to Chelsea during Mourinho's first spell as boss, has been out of favour in recent months and is likely to be on the substitutes' bench at best on Monday.
Mourinho said: "I have my opinion, but I keep (it to) myself. It was a free day for them, so I'm not a father, I'm a manager, and I can't control what they do when they are not with me."
Cole played in Tuesday's Capital One Cup loss at Sunderland, when Cesar Azpilicueta was at right-back due to the suspension of Branislav Ivanovic.
With Ivanovic available again at Arsenal, Spain right-back Azpilicueta will revert to left-back, where he has performed well in recent weeks, keeping Cole out of the side.
Mourinho added: "From the beginning Ashley's not playing, (but) today is Friday, the game is Monday. Something can happen in between.
"I play Ivanovic right-back, I play Azpilicueta left-back. I play John Terry and I have to choose between (Gary) Cahill and David Luiz."
- SLIDESHOW: British Superbikes starts this weekend for Buildbase BMW Motorrad riders Ryuichi Kiyonari and James Westmoreland
- Aaron Webster named Burton Albion's greatest ever player in fans' poll
- Johnny Russell admits Burnley are out of sight for Derby County
- Ex-Burton Albion star praised for his 'old school honesty' by Derby County boss
- Hospital chiefs reveal £1m cost of free parking
- Taxi price hike plans help out hard-up drivers
- Religious leaders back petition on food poverty as new data shows sharp rise in handouts
- Scarlet fever cases soar in East Staffordshire
- Copter tragedy cops plagued by prankster
- Tory removed from role over comments