Murder probe after death of boy, 2
A murder inquiry has begun after the death of a two-year-old boy who was admitted to hospital with serious head injuries.
West Midlands Police said a 21-year-old man and a woman, 25, were being held on suspicion of murder after the boy died at Birmingham Children's Hospital on Tuesday.
The boy, who has not been named, was originally admitted to hospital in Coventry at about 1pm on Monday and later transferred to Birmingham for treatment.
Police were alerted to the boy's admission to hospital by medical staff and a 21-year-old man was arrested in the early hours of Tuesday morning on suspicion of assault.
A police spokesman said: " At around noon on Tuesday the young boy was pronounced dead at hospital and a 25-year-old woman was subsequently arrested.
"A forensic post-mortem which took place yesterday afternoon was inconclusive and further tests are required to establish a cause of death.
"The man and woman both remain in custody today where they are being questioned on suspicion of murder."
A house in Richmond Street, Coventry, has been cordoned off as p art of the investigation.
- Council chiefs call for safety talks with taxi drivers
- Shopping centre bosses apologise over new car park system chaos
- Woman left to foot bill for driving over bollard
- Mother 'gobsmacked' at having to pay for lost property
- Head speaks out on school's fine system
- Dog owner in court after woman attacked