Murray wins tops Facebook topics
Andy Murray's Wimbledon victory was the biggest talking point on Facebook in the UK this year.
The Scot's dramatic grand slam win, ending Britain's 77-year wait for a men's singles champion, sparked more online interest than Baroness Thatcher's death, the UEFA Champions League Final at Wembley Stadium and the Duchess of Cambridge giving birth to Prince George.
Sir Alex Ferguson stepping down as manager of Manchester United and the release of Grand Theft Auto 5 also trailed in behind the interest created by the tennis player.
Murray-mania was big in the UK but the most talked about topic in 2013 was the election of Pope Francis in May.
The death of South Africa's first black president Nelson Mandela was announced last Thursday - more than 115 "interactions" involving 55 million people had taken place on the social network by the end of day Friday, Facebook said.
The O2 arena in Greenwich, south east London, was the topped the list of places that UK Facebook users checked out.
The 10 most talked about topics - UK
:: 1 - Andy Murray wins the Wimbledon Championships (July)
:: 2 - Baroness Margaret Thatcher dies (April)
:: 3 - Bayern Munich & Borussia Dortmund contest the UEFA Champions League Final at Wembley Stadium (May)
:: 4 - The Duchess of Cambridge gives birth to Prince George (July)
:: 5 - Sir Alex Ferguson steps down as manager of Manchester United (May)
:: 6 - Call of Duty: Ghosts released on X-Box 360 and PS3 (November)
:: 7 - England retain the Ashes in cricket (August)
:: 8 - X-Factor returns to UK screens (August)
:: 9 - The 'Bedroom Tax' is introduced in the UK (April)
:: 10 Grand theft Auto 5 released on X-Box 360 and PS3 (September)
The top check ins - UK
:: 1- The O2, London
:: 2 - Wembley Stadium, London
:: 3 - Leicester Square, London
:: 4 - Westfield Stratford City
:: 5 - intu Trafford Centre, Manchester
:: 6 - Alton Towers, Staffordshire
:: 7 - Covent Garden, London
:: 8 - Harrods, London
:: 9 - Thorpe Park, Surrey
:: 10 - Westfield, London (Shepherds Bush)
- On-loan George Thorne waits until the end of the season at Derby County to decide on his future
- Gary Rowett wants to his Burton Albion side another step in the play-offs this season
- Rolleston CC dig in for lion's share of points at home to Ilkeston Rutland
- James Benstead and Callum Brodrick on fire in Dunstall draw
- Hospital chiefs reveal £1m cost of free parking
- Religious leaders back petition on food poverty as new data shows sharp rise in handouts
- Taxi price hike plans help out hard-up drivers
- Father 'gutted' over primary school choice
- Call for answers after mental health travel support axed
- Copter tragedy cops plagued by prankster