Party stab victim fights for life
A young man is fighting for this life after being stabbed during New Year's Eve celebrations.
Emergency services found the 23-year-old at an address in Raffles Avenue, Carlisle, shortly after 4am yesterday.
He was treated at the scene before being rushed to Cumberland Infirmary, where he underwent an operation for life-threatening injuries, Cumbria Police said.
The man was later transferred to the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle for further surgery and is in a critical condition.
Eight men aged between 23 and 59 have been arrested and remain in custody.
Detective Superintendent Mike Forrester, who is leading the investigation, said: "The incident happened during a party to celebrate the New Year.
"This is an extremely difficult investigation due to the number of people involved and due to the lack of information forthcoming.
"A man is fighting for his life and I would urge anyone with information to come forward and speak to us in confidence."
Anyone with information is urged to contact Cumbria Police on 101.
- Hospital chiefs reveal £1m cost of free parking
- Religious leaders back petition on food poverty as new data shows sharp rise in handouts
- Father 'gutted' over primary school choice
- Taxi price hike plans help out hard-up drivers
- Call for answers after mental health travel support axed
- Driving ban plea falls on deaf ears as man faces losing business