Robson feeling ready for action
Laura Robson is confident she has recovered from wrist problems that have heavily disrupted her warm-up for the Australian Open.
The 19-year-old has not completed a match since the end of last season, and alarm bells rang when she withdrew during her first-round match in Hobart earlier this week.
She had earlier pulled out of her scheduled first tournament in Auckland before the start after developing the problem towards the end of the off season.
Robson said: "It was a bit of tendinitis, and there was a bit of a ligament thing in there, but it was kind of two different things.
"We thought after we saw the first doctor that it would be fine for Auckland. But then I still felt it a bit, so I saw another doctor when I got here.
"I just wasn't quite ready to play a match (in Hobart), and didn't want to make anything worse.
"It seems to be cleared up now. My wrist feels pretty good.
"It's just one of those things that a lot of tennis players have, and it comes with the territory."
Robson, ranked 46th, is Britain's only direct entrant into the women's singles at the year's first grand slam.
And she will not have any time to ease herself into the tournament after being drawn against 18th seed Kirsten Flipkens, who reached the Wimbledon semi-finals last year.
Robson, though, is confident she will have had enough time on court by the time the match comes around, which is expected to be Monday.
She said: "I've had some good practices the last couple of days. Yesterday I hit for the longest time since the end of the off season, which I was really happy with.
"I practised points yesterday and today and I will do tomorrow, so I feel ready. I'm glad I got that set and a bit last week in Hobart. That always helps, when you know how to prepare."
Robson has struggled with various injuries throughout her career and had been a doubt for the US Open last year because of a problem in her right wrist.
This time it is the other wrist, which would have been a bigger concern for the left-hander.
- TV licence prosecutions are 'unfair on the poor'
- New borough leader proposes council tax freeze
- £15k taxpayer cash used for judicial review
- Drivers say they've had enough of the potholes blighting Burton's roads
- Cabinet posts for rebels after helping to oust council leader
- Burton bollards could go, as plans discussed for their future