Sturridge ruled out of Ukraine qualifier
Daniel Sturridge has been ruled out of England's World Cup qualifier with Ukraine in Kiev on Tuesday.
Sturridge missed Friday night's win over Moldova at Wembley after aggravating a thigh injury in Liverpool's triumph over Manchester United last weekend.
It had been hoped the striker would have recovered sufficiently for him to report back for duty on Saturday evening.
However, the Football Association has confirmed that will not happen.
"The FA can confirm that Daniel Sturridge will not return to the England squad ahead of the World Cup qualifier with Ukraine on Tuesday," said the FA in a statement.
"Club England medical staff have been in constant contact with their counterparts at Liverpool football club since he returned there on Thursday, his injury has not progressed as had been hoped and it is now clear that Sturridge will not be fit for the match in Kiev on Tuesday evening."
- Red-faced driver hits town bollard
- Mother 'gobsmacked' at having to pay for lost property
- Messy dog owners hit with hefty fines
- Tip-offs lead to fresh wave of police raids on suspected drug hideouts
- Multi-million pound A50 plan will 'improve road safety and ease conjestion'
- Drug baron jailed over cocaine ring