University students a safe bet
The pressure on university students is set to grow as friends and family can now place bets on the final outcome of their degrees.
Ladbrokes has launched the new service offering odds on the degree classification of any student due to enroll at 20 of the UK's universities.
Bets can be placed on any possible outcome, whether it be a first, 2:1, 2:2, or a rather pessimistic third.
A student with straight As at A level taking medicine at Oxford is 7/2 to graduate with a first, but a more likely evens to leave with a 2.1, the firm said.
Alex Donohue, of Ladbrokes, added: "We always get requests for degree bets at this time of year so thought we'd launch a dedicated service with a unique microsite for the first time to cater for the demand.
"Instead of the bank of mum and dad, this service could help give parents some return as they bank on their children's academic progress."
Anyone wanting to place a bet will have to provide the student's A-level results, degree course and university. Odds can be found at www.ladbrokes.com/student.
- Court orders soar to 'worrying' levels after council tax support cap introduced
- Red-faced driver hits town bollard
- Tip-offs lead to fresh wave of police raids on suspected drug hideouts
- Mother 'gobsmacked' at having to pay for lost property
- Multi-million pound A50 plan will 'improve road safety and ease conjestion'
- Messy dog owners hit with hefty fines