Watson beaten in Auckland
Heather Watson was left to rue missed chances as she slipped to a 6-4 3-6 6-3 defeat against Holland's Kiki Bertens in the second round of the ASB Classic in Auckland.
The British number one, who overcame fifth seed Sorana Cirstea in the first round, converted five of 12 break-point chances in the match against an opponent ranked 14 places beneath her at 63rd in the world.
Watson also struggled on second serve, winning just four points in the first and third sets combined in a match which lasted two hours and 14 minutes.
The Guernsey player will remain in Auckland as she and partner Marina Erakovic are into the quarter-finals of the doubles, before heading to Hobart for her final tournament ahead of the Australian Open.
- Queen's defends having sales staff in maternity ward
- Travellers move in at town leisure centre
- Absent councillor treating residents with contempt, claims parish council
- Proposed taxi license fee hike 'astonishing'
- POLL: 'Unglamorous' Burton is becoming a holiday hotspot
- Nine taken to hospital following A38 smash