Watson ousted in Brisbane
British number three Heather Watson suffered a straight-sets defeat to ninth seed Dominika Cibulkova in the first round of the Brisbane International on Monday.
The Guernsey-born 21-year-old, ranked 121 in the world after a troubled end to the 2013 season during which she was diagnosed with glandular fever, had battled through qualifying to reach the main draw at the hardcourt event, but was no match for Cibulkova.
The world number 23 from Slovakia prevailed 6-4 6-3 to secure a second-round meeting with Japanese veteran Kimiko Date-Krumm.
- TV licence prosecutions are 'unfair on the poor'
- New borough leader proposes council tax freeze
- £15k taxpayer cash used for judicial review
- Drivers say they've had enough of the potholes blighting Burton's roads
- Cabinet posts for rebels after helping to oust council leader
- Burton bollards could go, as plans discussed for their future