Watson ousted in Brisbane
British number three Heather Watson suffered a straight-sets defeat to ninth seed Dominika Cibulkova in the first round of the Brisbane International on Monday.
The Guernsey-born 21-year-old, ranked 121 in the world after a troubled end to the 2013 season during which she was diagnosed with glandular fever, had battled through qualifying to reach the main draw at the hardcourt event, but was no match for Cibulkova.
The world number 23 from Slovakia prevailed 6-4 6-3 to secure a second-round meeting with Japanese veteran Kimiko Date-Krumm.
- Hospital chiefs reveal £1m cost of free parking
- Religious leaders back petition on food poverty as new data shows sharp rise in handouts
- Taxi price hike plans help out hard-up drivers
- Scarlet fever cases soar in East Staffordshire
- Copter tragedy cops plagued by prankster
- MP meeting in bid to get to bottom of booze plans