William to take investiture role
The Duke of Cambridge is expected to preside over his first investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace later this week.
William is to pin OBEs on Wimbledon champion Andy Murray and Vicar of Dibley producer Jon Plowman among others when he stands in for the Queen on Thursday. He is also expected to create two new knights.
The 31-year-old has reportedly told aides he is "a bit nervous" about the ceremony, when traditionally many people from across the country are honoured.
"William has been practising using the sword and pinning the medals on a servant so that he gets it right. He obviously doesn't want to slice anyone's ear off or stick a pin into their chest!" a royal source said.
"Above all he realises this is the biggest day in the lives of some people who are being honoured."
- Red-faced driver hits town bollard
- Mother 'gobsmacked' at having to pay for lost property
- Messy dog owners hit with hefty fines
- Tip-offs lead to fresh wave of police raids on suspected drug hideouts
- Multi-million pound A50 plan will 'improve road safety and ease conjestion'
- Drug baron jailed over cocaine ring