Woman dies in collision on The Mall
Police will carry out a post-mortem on a pedestrian who died after being struck by two cars near Buckingham Palace.
The 22-year-old woman was pronounced dead shortly after the collision at 2.20am on Friday at The Mall, Scotland Yard said.
The woman has now been identified and a post mortem is expected to begin at Greenwich Mortuary.
The driver of a blue Mercedes e-Class, the second car to hit her, drove off from the incident.
But police later traced the vehicle to an address in Hendon, north London, and arrested a man on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and failing to stop.
The 42-year-old was later released on bail.
Police said the driver of a black Mercedes e-Class, which hit the woman first, stopped at the scene.
There does not appear to be a link between the two cars, police added.
Officers from the Road Death Investigation Unit are investigating.
- TV licence prosecutions are 'unfair on the poor'
- New borough leader proposes council tax freeze
- 'Rules there for a reason', parking fine couple told
- £15k taxpayer cash used for judicial review
- Make sure you put your bin away or you might be given a fine
- Drivers say they've had enough of the potholes blighting Burton's roads