Woman dies in collision on The Mall
Police will carry out a post-mortem on a pedestrian who died after being struck by two cars near Buckingham Palace.
The 22-year-old woman was pronounced dead shortly after the collision at 2.20am on Friday at The Mall, Scotland Yard said.
The woman has now been identified and a post mortem is expected to begin at Greenwich Mortuary.
The driver of a blue Mercedes e-Class, the second car to hit her, drove off from the incident.
But police later traced the vehicle to an address in Hendon, north London, and arrested a man on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and failing to stop.
The 42-year-old was later released on bail.
Police said the driver of a black Mercedes e-Class, which hit the woman first, stopped at the scene.
There does not appear to be a link between the two cars, police added.
Officers from the Road Death Investigation Unit are investigating.
- Council chiefs call for safety talks with taxi drivers
- Shopping centre bosses apologise over new car park system chaos
- Woman left to foot bill for driving over bollard
- Mother 'gobsmacked' at having to pay for lost property
- Head speaks out on school's fine system
- Dog owner in court after woman attacked