Login Register

Horse dies after being spooked by fireworks

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: March 31, 2014

Comments (0)

A HORSE died and another was seriously injured after they were believed to have been spooked by fireworks.

A vet was called to attend to the stricken animals in a field off Valley Road, Overseal, on Sunday night.

Nothing could be done to save the older of the two horses, which was said to have suffered a neurologic episode, believed to have been caused by fireworks being set off nearby, and had to be put down.

The foal, which ran into a fence amid the panic, sustained serious injuries to its head, but survived the incident.

Carol Babb, who lives near the field on Valley Road, said she heard the fireworks being set off at the back of her house.

She said it had been a persistent problem in recent weeks by people causing a nuisance and called on the police to tackle the problem.

She told the Mail: “We heard a big bang, they were big explosive fireworks. My next door neighbour saw the sky light up. It killed a horse in the field behind us.

“It is awful, there are fireworks going off on a regular basis. I don’t know who is doing it but something needs to be done about it.

“A horse is dead and it was the fright that did it.”

Police said the vet received the owner’s permission before the horse was destroyed.

Mrs Babb added: “Someone rents the field, I believe they were rescue horses, but now sadly one is dead and one is seriously injured.”

A spokesman for Derbyshire Police said: “We received a call to attend Valley Road in Overseal. Two officers were present; they had to authorise the vet under the Animal Welfare act.

“There were two horses in the field. It is believed the horses were spooked by fireworks. One bolted into the a fence and suffered facial injuries and the other horse had a neurologic episode, according to the vet.”

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters