THE owners of a takeaway in Burton must make major improvements to its hygiene standards after mould was found on the kitchen wall and raw meat was stored incorrectly.
Pizza Pantry on Calais Road was given a rating of just one out of five following a visit from hygiene inspectors from East Staffordshire Borough Council on December 17.
This rating means that major improvements are necessary.
In a report the inspector listed a number of improvements that needed to be made.
Concerns raised included raw bacon being stored on top of cooked mince in the fridge.
The reported stated: “Whilst it is appreciated that the mince will be further cooked on a pizza, it is still bad practice. “
The report also states that mould had grown on the wall at the back of a sink in the rear kitchen area.
The surfaces of shelves in the rear kitchen were dusty and there was dust and debris on items stored on the floor and under the sink unit in the kitchen.
The manager was told to take immediate action to clean these areas.
The inspector also found that just one sink in the rear kitchen was being used for both hand washing and washing equipment.
There was also no hand wash soap at the sink in the kitchen which was being used by staff for hand-washing.
Manager of the shop, known as Saied, told the Mail that the low rating was due to tiles in the shop being broken, calling it a ‘technical error’.
He said: “The tiles were broken so I changed them.
“I have organised it so all of the things have now been done.
“All of the food is for pizza, we only have an oven for pizza.
“Everything has now been sorted so I am looking forward to the inspector coming to see us.”
He added: “We will just continue and try and make it better.
“I try my best.”
He said he would continue to make improvements at the shop which he has managed for just over a year, including turning the hot water temperature down on the boiler which was noted as being too hot.